Monday, September 20, 2010

Response To Films

The movie Eraserhead was interesting, and not in a good way. I felt disturbed, bored and disgusted all at the same time. All of these emotions might have been acceptable if I understood, even remotely, what was going on. Instead, I was completely confused. I did not understand the characters, the plot, or any of the ideas the movie was attempting to convey through symbolism. If people were to ask me to explain to them the meaning or significance of this movie I would not be able to tell them anymore than I knew prior to viewing it.

On the other hand, The Seventh Seal has been the best movie we have watched so far in my opinion. I thought this film contained an enjoyable combination of drama and humor. I also thought that the characters were more developed, likable, smart and amusing than others we've seen. The story line was also very good and I enjoyed the concept of exploring the mysteries of death as the basis of the plot, even having "death" as a character. I found myself intently watching during the serious scenes where their were dialogs about God, the devil, religion and death, and then laughing at the characters in more lighthearted scenes such as the quarrel at 1:03. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this film, especially in comparison to Eraserhead!


No comments:

Post a Comment